Sunday, April 25, 2010

Life Without the Spica--Yay!!!

Well, we have been Spica free for almost two weeks now!  The day of the cast removal was pretty horrible for little Abigail.  The sound and vibration of the cast cutter/saw scared our little girl pretty badly.  We did everything to comfort her; however, she was so upset there was not much we could do.  I have never heard my baby cry so hard and for so long in my life!  After the cast was removed we immediately went to radiology where Abigail had another x-ray.  After about one hour of waiting for any news the doctor came in and told us her hip looked great and we were prescribed a rhino cruiser brace to wear at nights for the next 3 months and then we are to go back to the ortho. surgeon on July 12th to have more x-rays to determine the hip position at that time. We continue to pray for good news; however, we are so blessed we could not ask for more as our lives are so fulfilled with our little buggy!

So now Abigail is wearing her brace at night but she continues to keep her legs out in the froggy position.  I guess I was being naive when I thought that for some reason when the cast came off my baby's legs would immediately start moving again.  Boy was I wrong!  The doctor told us that it may take up to 3 weeks before her legs really start moving as they will be stiff for awhile.  I cried of course when I saw what her leg looked like once the cast was removed.  So much flaky, dead skin and the bruising--wow, the brusing was everywhere on her little leg.  She also had one skin ulcer on her right hip but it is almost all healed.  I also thought Abigail would love taking a bath for the first time in 3 months---again I was wrong.  It has been almost 2 weeks now and her little leg has looked better than ever---no more bruises and no more dry skin.  We are so enjoying our time snuggling up with our buggy and feel so blessed to be her parents. 

We also took Abigail in for her 9 month weigh in--hahaha!  She weighs 23.5 pounds and is 30.1 inches long--all in her 97th percentile!  She has learned how to wave "bye bye", blow kisses, claps her hands when you say "Yay!" or "paddy cake" and her newest trick is playing peek a boo.  We are so proud of buggy and love her more than she knows. 

Also, on a side note, Clayton put in a little vegetable garden in our backyard for Abigail and we have a little sign in the garden that reads, "Abigail's Garden".  Hopefully we will have some good veggies to feed her by the time she is really chewing. :-)






2 comments:

  1. How has she done sitting up post Spica? Madison had just figured out how to sit up on her own about a week before she was casted.

    I can't wait to hear more about Abigail's progress as she moves forward cast free!!! I really hope that if we need the Rhino Brace we only have to do it at night. I've heard of some people having to do it like 23 hrous/day and quite frankly that will not work with the amount of time I plan on spending with her in my parent's pool this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abigail just learned how to sit up again post spica---but she is still very wobbly. Her left leg--the one that was casted--is still in that abducted position (froggy position) and really had not moved since they took the cast off. I have been doing some passive range of motion exercises with her but she is still so very stiff and sensitive. I was a pretty bad mother today because I thought I could get her in her exersaucer again and boy was I wrong. I got her in alright but could not get her out as she wasn't moving her left leg to assist and we had real tears and this mama was freakin' out! I thought she would be able to get into the exersaucer only because we just got her to fit into high chairs and strollers again. I am so on edge with her being out of the spica only because I fear that she will just be put right back into it at her 12 month check up--3 months from now. I feel like I shouldn't really enjoy this time away from the spica or I feel like if I enjoy it too much and get use to life again without a spica cast then I will just jinx us and something will happen causing further surgeries. I am slowly letting myself go and not think about that--if this is the only health concern/issue with Abigail then I will be one happy mama.
    Madison is such a cutie pie and when I watch your videos I always have Abigail with me and she just starts laughing and clapping her hands together at her friend via blogspot.
    She will gain mobility back when the spica comes off. With Abigail I am not pushing her right now--we just have a lot of floor time and I figure it should come naturally. Abigail started weightbearing on her legs and stood for the first time the night before the spica cast went on so now we are back to square one and frankly, I am okay with it because I get to have my "baby" a little longer than other people. :-)

    The Rhino Brace is not bad at all--Abigail actually enjoys it because it provides the comfort of the spica that I think she actually misses sometimes. Right after they removed the cast she kept putting her hands down on her legs and instantly start crying as if she was missing it. Our doctor said that some doctors don't even prescribe a brace after or if they do it is for a lot of time, like 23 hours a day for a few weeks and then nothing. Abigail is already in the position from the spica cast 24 hours a day without the help of a brace to keep her in that position.

    Have a wonderful night with little Madison.

    ReplyDelete